Get help with Met Life, Clarica & Prudential in Ottawa
If you bought an insurance policy several years ago in Ottawa and are now looking to make a claim, need a statement or make a change it might not be around today. Several insurance companies that were operating in Canada such as Clarica, Met Life and Prudential have been taken over by other insurance companies and it might be a challenge to figure out where to go.
Here is a list of former insurance companies and who they now operate under now. If you need help with your policy, you can always give us a call at 613-286-6841 or send and e-mail and we would be happy to help you.
Consolidation of Former Insurance Carriers
- Aetna Canada Assurance – Purchased by Maritime Life in 1999.
- Canada Life Assurance Company: Now part of Great-West Co.- Purchased in 2003.
- Clarica Life Assurance: Formerly known as Mutual Life Assurance Co. Purchased in 2002 by Sun Life Financial.
- Commercial Union Life Assurance – Purchased by Manulife Financial in 2001.
- Confederation Life Assurance Co. – Receivership in 1995. Canadian business units purchased by Manulife Financial and Maritime Life.
- Crown Life Assurance Co. – Purchased by Canada Life Assurance in 1998.
- Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company The Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company, commonly shortened to The Dominion, was acquired by Travelers Canada in November 2013 and had been in operation since 1887. It was founded by Canada’s first Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald. Not only was it one of Canada’s oldest insurance companies, it was also one of the largest. It was the only company legally licensed to use the Canadian coat of arms in its logo and affiliated material. The company had offices across Canada and was headquartered in Toronto.
- Imperial Life – Purchased by Desjardins Group in 1994.
- Laurentian Life – Absorbed by Imperial Life in 1993.
- Liberty Health – Purchased by Maritime Life in 2003.
- London Life Insurance Company – Now part of Great-West Co.- Purchased in 1997.
- Maritime Life – Purchased by Manulife Financial (as part of the John Hancock Insurance acquisition) in 2004.
- Metropolitan Life – Canadian operations purchased in 1998 by Mutual Life (which later became Clarica Life Assurance).
- Mutual of Omaha – Canadian operations purchased by RBC Insurance in 1998
- New York Life – Canadian operations purchased by Canada Life Assurance Company in 1994.
- North American Life – Merged into Manulife Financial in 1995.
- Ontario Blue Cross – Group insurance operations obtained by Liberty Health in 1995.
- Prudential Assurance Co. – Canadian operations purchased in 1996 by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.
- Prudential Insurance Co. of America – Canadian operations purchased by (London Life Insurance Company) in 1995.
- Royal & SunAlliance Ins. Co. – Canadian operations purchased by Maritime Life in 2001.
- UnumProvident – Canadian operations purchased by RBC Insurance in 2004.
- State Farm was purchased by Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company in 2014.
- Westbury Canadian Life – Purchased by RBC Insurance in 2004.
- Zurich Life Insurance of Canada – Canadian group life & health business purchased by Manulife Financial in 2001.
- Union of Canada Life Insurance, founded in 1863 – Liquidated in 2012.