13 Funny Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Death
Death is the great unknown. When, how, where and why will happen is a big mystery. In fact we know a lot more about dying than you may think. It’s a heavy topic so here are a few facts to lighten the mood and maybe put a smile on your face.
- You can still be mummiﬁed but it comes with a $67,000 price tag.
- You can buy caskets shaped like kites, surfboards or beer bottles.
- With cryonics, you can just “freeze” your head and choose a body when science is advanced enough to revive you. Let’s all take a moment and think about the kind of body you would choose.
- The practice of burying the dead may date back 350,000 years, as evidenced by a 45-foot-deep pit in Atapuerca, Spain, filled with the fossils of 27 hominids of the species Homo heidelbergensis, a possible ancestor of Neanderthals and modern humans.
- Over 2500 left handed people are killed each year from using products made for right handed people.
- A dentist invented the Electric Chair.
- Doctors’ sloppy handwriting kills more than 7,000 people annually.
- Within 3 days of death, the enzymes that once digested your dinner begin to eat you.
- Left-handed people die 3 years earlier than right-handed people.
- You are more likely to die from a coconut falling on your head than a shark attack.
- We are born with 270 bones but die with only 206.
- The lack of physical activity is one of the leading causes of preventable death worldwide.
- A new funeral GoFundMe campaign is started about every 5 minutes. That means approximately 280 GoFundMe funeral campaigns every single day and have raised over $340 million dollars.
Death is not a fun thing to talk about however just like taxes it is inevitable. Don’t wait until its too late to have the “what happens when I die” talk to make sure your family is taken care of – being unprepared is not interesting or funny.
Also published on Medium.